We are always looking for volunteers at Share!
Workplace teams,families, faith-based groups, individuals and social clubs are welcome to join us to help make difference in the community, all while having fun! Please note that volunteers under the age of 18 must be actively supervised by a parent or other adult while volunteering.
Share’s bustling warehouse distributed over 27 million pounds of food last year. Share brought nourishing food to nearly 700,000 low-income Philadelphia neighbors who were facing food poverty, in partnership with 505 neighborhood food cupboards. Our regional impact – and our ability to respond to the growing need – is made possible by the individuals and groups who volunteer in our warehouse each day. To every volunteer: your commitment of time and energy helps reduce hunger, and we are so grateful. Thank you!
To ensure a meaningful, safe volunteer experience at Share, here are a few important tips:
You must dress in closed-toed shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty or paint on. We also recommend bringing a water bottle, especially in the summer months. In the winter/transition months, dress very warmly; sometimes it’s colder in the warehouse than it is outside!
As a volunteer, you will have the opportunity to participate in any number of activities. These vary each day, depending on the need and number of volunteers. Here are some examples of typical volunteer activities:
- Packing produce and dry goods (canned and boxed) items into boxes, for distribution to neighborhood food cupboards, senior centers, and host sites for Share’s affordable food package program. This work requires some lifting and stacking, but can be done by people of all ages.
- Assembling Cardboard Boxes so that they can be ready to be packed at all times. Taping boxes and stacking them in an organized way helps us reach more people quickly.
- Bagging food items, including produce for one of our specialized food boxes. This can require weighing food and repacking it.
- Painting and Other Warehouse Maintenance is crucial to keeping our busy warehouse both efficient and welcoming. We sometimes need help painting in and outside of the warehouse, sweeping, baling cardboard boxes for recycling, and picking up trash.
- Tending to Share’s Nice Roots Farm, Garden Areas and Grounds, which benefit from hands-on help throughout the year. Activities can include weeding, mulching and harvesting produce in our hoop houses, orchards and gardens, as well as other landscaping activities, including mowing, weed-eating, and sweeping.
- Helping Prepare Order Forms allows us to bring our affordable food programs to schools and senior centers in low-income neighborhoods throughout Philadelphia. This task requires folding paper and stuffing envelopes.
- Loading Cars and Unloading Trucks helps us efficiently deliver food to hundreds of individuals and local food cupboards every month. This high-energy volunteer job ensures you don’t need to go to the gym that day! This might require lifting, moving, and stacking boxes.
- Data Entry, Office Work, and Making Calls help Share efficiently run our core programs, and maintain records. Data Entry is done on a computer. Office work could include filing, organizing, and alphabetizing. We sometimes need volunteers to assist us in calling Food Cupboards to notify them of their delivery date.
- Organizing and Sorting Food includes helping to sort donated food items, assist with inventory and other tasks so that food products are ready to distribute. This might involve making lists of the products and quantities of certain goods.
Tasks will be assigned depending on the highest need the day that you are volunteering. Thank you for understanding that we can’t always accommodate particular requests for assignments. And thank you for volunteering at Share!
Select a date or volunteer opportunity from the calendar below to sign up.
If you want more information about volunteer opportunities, be sure to check out the volunteer page or call Share at 215-223-2220.